Preview: Man up or die in BROFORCE
Cape Town indie developers Free Lives are on a mission. And if that mission is to show how much fun violence and explosions can be, then BROFORCE is well on it’s way to succeeding. BROFORCE (it just feels right to have it in block capitals) is an upcoming action-platform game in which players must kill terrorists, save POWs, raise American flags and spread democracy. ‘MURICA!
BROFORCE is strongly influenced by 80′s and 90′s action movies. As far as we can tell, levels are pretty much made up of shooting bad guys, raising Old Glory, saving prisoners, then flying off in a chopper as the entire level blows up in perfectly pixellated explosions. And it’s glorious. Fans of stuff like Metal Slug, Bionic Commando and even Super Meat Boy will be in action-platforming nirvana here.
The game features playable characters ‘inspired’ by classic action movies, such as Rambro, B. A. Brobacus, Bro Dredd, Indiana Brones… you get the picture. Each hero features a different weapon and grenade variant, which is nice, and the game constantly switches between them. best of all, levels are completely destructable, so how you complete each level is completely open ended, and there’s a palpable sense of mayhem. BROFORCE‘s official website lists the features that will be implemented into the full game:
- More explosions, camera shake and action than anything else, ever.
- Fully destructible terrain.
- Local bro-op play and online multiplayer bro-op.
- Deathmatch arenas with leaderboards and rankings.
- Unlockable “bros” – each with distinctive attacks and special brobilities.
- A level editor, the ability to challenge your friends and share your custom levels.
- Design your own Brofort – with unlockable rooms and additions to defend against terrorist onslaught, or just hang out.
- Vehicular action sequences, dinosaurs, aliens and epic Contra-inspired boss fights.
- Nuanced and strategic combat, explosive action and deadly stealth.
- For every terrorist killed in Broforce, a terrorist will die in real life.
BROFORCE is looking like it could become a quick cult classic, and even in it’s early stages it’s already a lot of fun. The full game is due for release before the end of 2013, and is available to vote for on Steam Greenlight. You can play the ‘Brototype’ on the official website, here. We can’t wait for the brofficial release.