Dean Hall has posted an update on their dev blog for the standalone version of DayZ.
“The experience will be entirely new. There is virtually nothing that has been directly ported from the mod, everything has been redone. This wasn’t our original intention (hence the December deadline) – but it has evolved this way. We’re all glad it has!” said Hall in the update.
He also adds that the character development is the “absolute core of our current design efforts.” New screenshots of female characters have been added and so far they’re looking quite good. “Until initial release, the vast majority of our efforts will be expanding options for developing and customizing your character,” he adds.
Their lead programmer has also been working on the multiplayer engine to fit the “server-client MMO model.” Hall has also confirmed that private servers will be available.
Aside from detailing some of the newest improvements to the game, they are also pleased to announce that Arma III developer Ivan Buchta has rejoined their team after the trying ordeal in Greece.
Click to see the latest DayZ standalone screenshots
After 128 days in a prison in Greece, Arma III developers Martin Pezlar and Ivan Buchta have finally returned to the Czech Republic.
“Now I finally believe we are free,” Pezlar told reporters. “When we were in Greece, anything could happen.”
“We would like to spend the next days and weeks with our families and relax, because we didn’t sleep much after release from jail.”
“I have never experienced worse things in my life than this. The worst thing in prison was psyche, where you have to keep thinking positive. But prison staff were friendly to us – no serious problems there.”
In November 29, Pezlar and Buchta spoke of the horrible conditions of the prison through a handwritten letter they managed to smuggle out. This was shortly after their first attempt to post bail which was unsuccessful.
Earlier this week, the Czech Prime Minister Petr Nečas and his Greek counterpart Antonis Samaras agreed upon setting their bail to €5,000 which was paid shortly after by the developers’ families.
Unfortunately, this does not conclude Pezlar and Buchta’s trying ordeal. Czech Republic President Václav Klaus has asked Greek state officials to place “special attention” to the arrest and trial of the two. “This case is very sensitive to the Czech public and also to me as President of the Republic,” said Klaus to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in a letter. If the courts find them guilty, they could face up to 20 years in prison.
After 128 days in a Greek prison, Bohemia Interactive developers Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar have been released from custody. As soon as the two pay bail they will be allowed to return to the Czech Republic.
Helpivanmartin.com, a website devoted to helping the two developers in their ordeal, has posted translations from several Czech news websites regarding the details of their release. Bail was set to €5,000 (around £4,000 or $6,600) each and was apparently agreed upon between Czech Prime Minister Petr Nečas and his Greek counterpart Antonis Samaras.
“We have an unconfirmed report that both families have the money available and are discussing transferring the money to Greece with their attorney,” said Miloš Kučera, the deputy ambassador in Greece.
However, this is not the end of Pezlar and Buchta’s ordeal. After spending four months in prison on suspicion of espionage, Kučera highlights that court proceedings will continue in the future. It is still unclear when these proceedings will take place because Greek judges are still on strike. If convicted, both may face up to 20 years in prison.
On November 17, Buchta and Pezlar attempted to post bail but were refused. They spoke about the awful conditions of the prison as was detailed in a smuggled handwritten letter to their families.
The two were arrested on the island of Lemnos in September on suspicion of espionage. According to Greek authorities, the two were caught illegally photographing military buildings. However, they refused to specifically outline what exactly they were photographing.
A handwritten note from the two Arma III developers has made its way out of a Greek prison. The letter, from both Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar, was written November 22nd but was only posted today on their support website helpivanmartin.com. This is the first ever public statement made by the pair since they were sent to a Greek prison for alleged espionage 80 days ago in September.
The two sound seem to be a lot more optimistic now compared to their last contact with the outside regarding their refusal of bail.
“After two tiring months, it is important for us to hear ( well, read) words of encouragement and to learn that we are not forgotten,” Buchta and Pezlar wrote. “We are treated well, but we feel we should rather be with our families than here. Your effort makes it easier to handle: We enjoy the postcards, community news, pictures and puzzles which are being regularly send [sic] by [helpivanmartin.org's] magnificent staff.”
Click to read the full letter
Their support website has also posted a video of a Czech news station’s coverage of a protest held in Prague for the two developers. The organizers released a petition demanding their release to the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as the Greek Embassy. However, despite the petition and a letter of appeal from the President of the Czech Republic to the Greek President, it seems that their release “is not in sight.”
70 days ago, Arma III developers Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar were arrested in the Greek island of Lemnos on suspicion of espionage. It was revealed today that the two developers attempted to post bail but were denied and must now stand trial before a Greek court. If convicted, Buchta and Pezlar may face up to 20 years in prison.
The two developers have previously spoken while in custody commenting on the rough conditions. Not much has changed since then.
“They’re in a cell with over 25 people, they sleep on the ground,” Miloslav Buchta, father of Ivan, said. “They have food twice a day.”
“Our boys no longer tell us on the phone that it’s alright, that they’re handling it,” one of their mothers’ said. “After the court’s decision we only hear from them something that no parent ever wants to hear: Mom, dad, please save us.”
Buchta and Pezlar’s families have now reached out to the Czech president and prime minister after claiming their country’s foreign Minister hasn’t been of much help to their sons.
“We cannot agree with the statement [that we're not doing enough],” a foreign ministry spokesman said. “We are very intensely working on this matter from all possible angles.”