Earlier today, Dota 2 tournament The International 3 surpassed the League of Legends’ Season Two World Championship to become the E-Sports tournament with the highest ever prize pool. With over $1,976,000 and counting, it looks set to be a big moment in E-Sports history.
The prize pool, after the initial $1,600,000 from Valve, has been entirely funded by fans, who get rewarded as certain milestones are surpassed. The pool is funded by fan purchases of a digital ‘International 3 Compendium’. So far the milestones are as follows:
- $1,700,000 – 125% Battle Points boost until the end of The International 3
- $1,850,000 – Added upgrades for the Courier included with the Compendium
- $2,000,000 – A custom HUD skin
- $2,200,000 – A taunt item
- $2,400,000 – Vote on participants of an 8 player solo tournament
- $2,600,000 – A new, exclusive ‘immortal’ item
- $3,200,000 – Vote on the next hero to be released
For more information on The International 3, check out this article we posted the other day!